Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 4: Went to the city with my sister. Walked up 5th Ave (from Penn. Station, oops), actually 3 times (walked up about 3/4 of the way to Central Park, then walked back to go to lunch - went to Man Doo Bar, fresh Mandoo for a decent price, good eats - and then back again to the park. Then walked around Central Park for a bit before returning home

Day 5: Went to the dog park and then Liberty State Park, pretty lazy. Found out how rare fast food places are around here, the closest McDonald's is multiple towns away (though the towns are small).

Day 6: Eugh, the service in this city is the worst I've ever seen. New Yorkers aren't the most polite people in the world, but you'd think the people that get hired to be service representatives would be more polite, or at the very least pretend to be so.

Not the case.

Bergdorf Goodman: Completely ignored me the whole time, I don't like to be pestered when I shop, but ignoring a customer is a definite no-no. About half of their staff were on their phones or conversing with each other, they'd see me, not greet me, and go back to what they were doing. 3 SAs were in a small room on the first floor with the Loro Piana, not one of them thought to ask if I needed any assistance, they just wanted to talk about themselves. Same thing with the lady in the fragrance area, which is about the size of my closet.

Saks Fifth Ave.: Almost all of the Sales Associates looked at me as if I was going to grab something and bolt (regardless of the fact that I wasn't on the ground floor, it'd be rather hard to get through security when I have multiple floors to get down). The first SA I saw really annoyed me, I was extremely bothered for the rest of my visit, which is not exactly the mindset to put people in if you want them to buy things from you. He blatantly inspected a Ralph Lauren Black Label suit I had just looked at (didn't even try it on) as if in the 15 seconds it was in my hands I would have somehow destroyed it. The one SA who actually was helpful (George, in the Vault) was really great though, very nice and helpful. I also may have gotten a customer for the guy who made my messenger bag, though that could have just been SA talk (I'm rather suspicious about what SAs say is genuine and what is bull)

Dior Homme: This really annoyed me, if I were to buy something, I'd most certainly avoid this store (to the point where even if I lived in NYC, I'd phone order another location or buy it from a different stockist). I picked out a couple of pieces (a really nice houndstooth suit and a pair of paint splattered jeans, both quite nice pieces) and was waiting in line for an SA so I could ask for a fitting room, the wonderful SA sees me and looks right past to ask the guy behind me if he would like a fitting room. WHAT THE FUCK? Then he tells me sorry as if he didn't see me when clearly he did since I was standing right in front of the fitting room. Had to wait 20 minutes since the other fitting room had a burnt out light.

Salvatore Ferragamo: The SAs were pretty nice, though they still had the look of wariness, got to try on a cardigan that was one of my favorite pieces of FW10

Barney's New York: Fail. First floor had tons of SAs standing around doing nothing and then the second floor had one guy who was folding shirts so would often be gone in the back. Grabbed some stuff I wanted to try on and ask questions about and had to wait 5-10 minutes for the SA to get back. The rest of the SAs on the above floors (3-7, if I recall correctly) completely ignored me. At least I got to try on some great stuff (actually, their buy was probably the best). The Lanvin wool trench was amazing, but the zipper on the one I tried on was defective and wouldn't zip. Also tried on a bunch of suits/jackets that I wouldn't otherwise have access to in my size (Margiela, Dries van Noten, Jil Sander, Prorsum, etc.)

And of course everywhere I went, people who were wearing t-shirts and crappily distressed jeans got immediate and courteous service everywhere. Apparently, dressing well actually gets me worse service.

No comments:

Post a Comment